Analytics
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

SSL implementation has caused MAJOR referral drop off

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Our master brand (ie builder.com) was providing significant referrals to our sub brands (ie firsthome.com, secondhome.com, homeimprovement.com etc). As soon as we implemented an SSL into the master brand (builder.com) the referrals to all sub brand sites dropped dramatically. How am I able to see these referrals again?

Cheers,

Jos

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: SSL implementation has caused MAJOR referral drop off

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

In simple words: if you go from a secure (HTTPS) website to a website without SSL, browsers strip referral data.

please refer: http://www.pierrelechelle.com/inaccurate-traffic-sources 

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Jos
This is completely normal and expected.

You have two options here. You can manually tag all outbound links from your main site (you'd probably have to do this programmatically if it's a big site) or move the smaller sites to SSL too. I'd recommend the latter as there are additional benefits there too.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi,

there may be an option nicely described here https://moz.com/blog/meta-referrer-tag which can help preserve referrer info.

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi GA Guru, I am actually going from a secure website to a secure website? Both have SSL certificates and the referral traffic is still not appearing?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Dave thanks for your response, all the smaller sites do have SSLs but the referral traffic is still not showing? There is about 6 sites the main sites refer to 4 have SSLs and 2 don't and all are experiencing the dramatic drop in referrals... Smiley Sad Any other ideas?