Analytics
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Russian Hackers on Google

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So I was looking at my analytics this morning and I got 7 new views that were pretty weird. Under language it said "Secret.ɢoogle.com You are invited! Enter only with this ticket URL. Copy it. Vote for Trump!" The analytics report also said that I had 7 new views from Russia and that the browser they were using was google.com. Could this mean my website or my accounts are being targeted by hackers? What could I do to protect myself? 

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
November 2016

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Claudiu,

This "traffic" is not real, it is sent directly to your Google Analytics, and you may see it in different forms, referrals, keywords, pages, and now even as a language. The spammers don't target specific accounts; they just hit randomly.

To protect yourself from this fake traffic you should create filters in your Analytics.Here you can find a related question and a guide for creating the filters

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Google-Analytics-Referral-Spam/Tracking-as-Vote-for-Trump/...

Hope it helps,

Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!
Analytics Consultant at Carloseo.com - Find me on Twitter | Email me

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Finding the same on my site. Worrisome.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've followed all the instructions on this and other articles relating to this and I'm still getting significant traffic for vote for trump. It doesn't seem to be working. I've put up hostname filters as well as exclude filters and I blocked known spambots and it still doesn't affect this one. What can I do? I want data not this assholes late vote for trump campaign

Re: Russian Hackers on Google

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

@Claudiu G a few things to check

• Be careful,  you may see hostnames from known sites like moz.com, techcrunch, analytics.google and many other, despite being legit sites, these are not valid hostnames. The spammers use them to confuse people.
  • Check the second part of the guide it has been updated with a filter for language spam.
  • Lastly, to get a clean view of your historical data you should use the advanced segment explained in the last part

Hope it helps,

Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!
Analytics Consultant at Carloseo.com - Find me on Twitter | Email me

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

im having the same problems too!!! soo frustrating!!! I also implemented the filters and it didn't seem to work (unless it takes time to kick in) - Thanks for your info and help, Carlos - Will look at what you sent ! But also my  issue I don't see here is that since that huge 'fake' spike and the spam in my language section - I have had zero views to my site since which is 5 days - that seems completely impossible and has never happened before so I'm sensing it's due to the hack??!!! Any thoughts? Advice???

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Blake M, An Analytics filter only filters out future data, so the stuff that has already occurred will just be there. Unfortunately that may mean that you have a huge spike and you basically can't see the rest of your line graph. I know, me too. You have to either keep up on your referral filter updating it as you see new spikes of spam traffic, or just not pay much attention to that referral data, or both. Spam is a problem in direct traffic as well, but there is no way to filter that out. Organic search traffic is about the only useful source left.

It wasn't really a hack, it's just a form of spam - basically fake accesses to your site that probably really never went to your site, they just accessed Analytics with your Analytics ID so it was similar to someone viewing your site in your Analytics data.

This should not cause you to have zero views to your site. If that is the case, then you may have put in an incorrect filter which causes all views to be filtered out. I would try removing the filter, if you added one, and waiting a day or two.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

am  a  hacker  i  load  all  usa  canada  uk  banks  no  upfront  fee i  load  we  share  5050  no  upfront  fee  mail  me  lawyer@presidency.com