Analytics
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Referrals Showing After Adding Sub Domains to Referral Exclusion List

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

So I set up sub domain tracking between learn.xxx.com, shop.xxx.com, and xxx.com last week. I also added these three to the Referral Exclusion List. However, the Google Analytics data for the last few days is showing referral traffic for learn.xxx.com.

I don't understand why referral traffic is still showing for learn.xxx.com, even though it's on the RE List. Thank you in advance for your help!

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Erika S
December 2015

Re: Referrals Showing After Adding Sub Domains to Referral Exclusion L

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Erika,

You don't need to set up cross domain tracking for the subdomains in Universal Analytics. Just use the default tracking code for the main domain and the subdomains.

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/?hl=en#the_javascript_track...

You need to add only the top level domain to the referral exclusion list.

The Referral Exclusion List will not work for returning users who already have the referrer set to one of your domains. When they come back as direct they will still have that source set. Please check your session settings under Property -> Tracking Info -> Session Settings -> Campaign Timeout. If it's set to six months for example, it will take six months for all of these referrals to disappear.
Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Re: Referrals Showing After Adding Sub Domains to Referral Exclusion L

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Arnold,

Thanks for your help! I just checked the campaign timeout setting and it's set to 6 months so this has to be the problem. I run some tests just in case though.

Thanks for your help!

Referrals Showing After Adding Sub Domains to Referral Exclusion List

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Arnold,

Thanks for your answer, how do we stop this problem from occurring without waiting 6 months for al the campaign cookies to expire?

If we reduce the Campaign Settings expiry right down will this correct the problem sooner? What are the negative impacts of doing this? Would we lose Google Optimize experiment data for example?

Thanks in advance