Analytics
2K members online now
2K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Referral exclusion not working

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am a new comer of my company and find problems in traffic source.

Around 95% of transaction was counted to our payment gateway (referral) as we did not add the payment gateway to 'referral exclusion list'.

I had add it back to 'referral exclusion list' and waiting for 2 months. But situation did not improved. Payment gateway still counted 95% of transaction.

How can we solved it and get accurate traffic source data? Thank you so much.

Re: Referral exclusion not working

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Hanson,

If you’ve set up referral exclusions correctly, then excluded referrals should not appear. That’s how they work: if a visit comes in with referral/domain.com and you’ve excluded domain.com, it will always turn into direct traffic (and thus attributed to the previous active campaign).

Keep in mind: Now, if the previous active campaign was also referral/domain.com, then it will still appear as referral/domain.com due to the last non-direct source attribution. However, this number should steadily decline (and you should see near 0% new users) until after 6 months when it should disappear entirely.

If you still see new users in your "referral/domain.com" bucket, make sure that you've added the payment gateway domains to your referral exclusion list correctly.

You can read more about the referral exclusion list here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2795830?hl=en

Hope this helps.

Taavi

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Taavi,

Thank you so much for your reply. I checked that I should add domain.com correctly.
I had made the change for 2 months and still can't find that it is declining, and the new users is near to 0%.
Is it because most of the customer are previous customer and have cookies record? Then when customer come back to my store through 'direct' channel, GA will still treat them come from domain.com?

Thanks,
Hanson

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
You're right Hanson. That's it. Smiley Happy

If you have any further questions, just let us know. Smiley Happy

Taavi

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Taavi,

Thank you so much. Is this anyway to deleted the cookies of the customer so that they will not be treated as from domain.com?

Best Regards
Hanson

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
We cannot delete those cookies. If those visitors will come back through another channel (facebook, google organic etc), campaign changes and the number of sessions and conversions attributed to "domain.com / referral" should steadily decline. Smiley Happy

Taavi

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Taavi,

How long will the cookies last for if visitors don't visit our website? Is
it control by campaign timeout?
I have set the campaign timeout time from '180 days' to '1 days' in May. If
customer come again, will the 1 day cookies replace 180 days cookies?
For my understanding
Customer first time come to our website -> source = domain.com (add 180
days cookies) -> visit again through direct -> source still = domain.com (1
day cookies replace) -> 1 day later, cookies expire and source=domain.com
will also be cleared.
Am I right?

Thanks,
Hanson

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Hanson,

Basically, the campaign timeout determines how long a returning direct visit will pull in a more specific source / medium from a previous visit. Campaign timeout refreshes to the full timeout setting on each returning visit. You can change the campaign timeout if you feel that a shorter or longer attribution window would be more suitable for your business marketing or conversion cycle.

Yes, you can manipulate campaign timeout to get rid of these payment gateway referrals but I never recommend doing that.

Keep in mind - if you set the campaign timeout to 1 day, you may loose a lot of valuable data regarding the lifetime value of your customers. Basically, you’ll screw up all your attribution paths.

You shouldn’t really worry about these payment gateway referrals as long as you’ve added those domain(s) to your referral exclusion list correctly. They’re always direct returning visits, so you can bucket them as such.

Hope this helps you and other people in this community as well to understand

why it's not a good idea to manipulate campaign timeout to get rid of the particular referrals.

Taavi