Analytics
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Referral exclusion list not working for payment gateway

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

I have just open a new property for my website yesterday and install universal tracking code.

Base on my previous experience, I have add my payment gateway 'paydollar.com' in referral exclusion list.

However, I found that there are still traffic come from 'paydollar.com' as referral. 

My existing property already suffer from this and the referral exclusion list does not help to solve the problem in short term as it need half year to clear visitors cookies. That's why I open a new property and install tracking code. But seems it still can't work.

Total Session: 2630

Referral session: 411

Session from paydollar: 314

Anyone with experience on this can help? Thank you!

Best Regards

Hanson

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Referral exclusion list not working for payment gateway

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Hanson,

please read this article to check if you added the referral list properly.And if so did you used Google Tag Assistant Recording to verify?

This article has the answer to your question.
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2795830?hl=en

Cheers
Noman Karim

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Hanson,
It is true that often referral exclusion list does not completely eliminate the excluded domain(s) from appearing in the referral traffic report. The other thing to keep in mind is that referral exclusion does not work retroactively.

So any visit/sales attributed to paydollar before adding paydollar.com to the referral exclusion list will still be attributed to PayPal in GA reports. it will take six months for all the self referrals to disappear.

I would also suggest you to read this post @ https://www.optimizesmart.com/tracking-true-referrals-in-google-analytics-when-using-paypal-and-othe...

Hope this helps.
Thanks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Norman,

I have checked that I have added it properly. I try to attached image here but don't know why it is failed.
By the way, I will try Google Tag Assistant Recording to verify it.

Thanks,
Hanson

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Santosh,

As mentioned in my post, it is a new property with new tracking code which is installed today.

Thanks,
Hanson

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
The referral exclusion list works by joining a previous sessions with the return session from the same user, and within the sessions timeout period. So, to see what is happening, first zero in on a single day, and find a session that is one of the paydollar referrals (in the referrals report). Using the Secondary Dimension option the the report, check the City or Service Provider for that visit. Then go to Audience>Geo>Location>City or Audience>Technology>Network>Service Provider and filter by the city/service provider you noted earlier. Click on that entry to see only traffic from that location. If there are more than 2 or 3 sessions, start again with a different referral location -- you are trying to isolate a single user by a location instead of the user id (which you don't have access to).

Add the Minute Index as a Secondary Dimension and see if there is a second session within a 30-minute window from that location. If there is, the Referral Exclusion List should have joined the two into a single session.

ALSO...sometimes the payment processors will note the source of the traffic that generated the sale - verify that it came from your site and not somewhere else (an affiliate or email or direct bookmark?).
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.