3.5K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Referral Traffic

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all, 

I started to collect  a good amount of traffic coming from a referral called: "expert-tracking,direct" . (see image below). 

Looking at the metrics does not look like referral spam and wondering if it can be an ad server redirect. 

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

David

Capture.PNG

Referral Traffic

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi David,

Seems interesting. What's the hostname and referral path of this traffic?

Taavi

Referral Traffic

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

You should check "Host name" secondary dimension. If there is not your hostname the traffic is definitely spam.

Referral Traffic

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Taavi, 

Thanks for the quick response, hostname is legitimate and the referral path for this referral is "/log/". 

Many thanks,

David

Referral Traffic

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi David,

Interesting.

If you compare countries, cities, devices and browsers could you find something strange? (segment out this traffic source)

What about other traffic sources, do you see a decline (spike) somewhere that started on the 5th of September?

Frankly, this expert-tracking.direct website doesn't seem to be trustworthy.

Taavi

Referral Traffic

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Taavi, 

Segmenting this referral by all the different dimensions all is looking pretty consistent against the website average. (Countries, cities, devices, browser, etc..)

Looking at the other channels, there's a decline in display when this referral's spike happened but still i cannot proof if this traffic is legitimate or not..

David

Referral Traffic

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi David,

I tried to search some additional information about this website but it's hard to find. There you can see some of the details: https://myip.ms/info/whois/64.251.25.253/k/1922738371/website/expert-tracking.direct

What about the time, are those "visitors" coming to your website throughout the day or during a specific time period?

Taavi

Referral Traffic

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Could be some kind of traffic bot... That's what it looks like in my opinion anyway.