Analytics
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Referral Spam Issues with share-buttons.xyz & traffic2cash.xyz

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've been researching this one for a while now. I've created filters to exclude them from my listings and tried blocking these urls in my .htaccess file, but I still see it in my results exactly as they have been showing up the entire time. Any suggestions?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nate B
January 2016

Re: Referral Spam Issues with share-buttons.xyz & traffic2cash.xyz

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Nate,

The htaccess file won't do anything since these referrals never visits your site. So I recommend you to remove those rules to keep clean your file.

Filters will only stop future hits from these referrals. To see clean historical data, you should use a segment. You can find here a detailed guide here to create it:
http://www.ohow.co/remove-referrer-spam-with-segments/

Hope it helps,
Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!
Analytics Consultant at Carloseo.com - Find me on Twitter | Email me

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hey Carlos,

I just follow these steps and it was surprisingly pretty easier. Any advice to expedient the process of adding segments to 70+ SMB GA accounts?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi Tim,

For your situation, it might be easier to use the pre-built segment with all the spam I added to the article. The other segment, has a few advantages, it rarely need to be updated, removes the spam in all dimensions (direct, organic, event) but since it is based on the hostnames of each account it can't be shared.

Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!
Analytics Consultant at Carloseo.com - Find me on Twitter | Email me

Re: Referral Spam Issues with share-buttons.xyz

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks! Tim Gill 33 Mile Radius

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks so much for the feedback. Both of those referrals are such a pain. Share-buttons is the worst of the 2, but definitely skewing results in a big bad way. Great tutorials by the by. Great documentation.