Analytics
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Referral Spam? 100% new sessions, ATOS < 3 seconds, bounce rate +85%

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello!

Should I exclude these two Google crawlers?

s1.2mdn.net
s0.2mdn.net

Since November/December, few of my sites keep receiving thousands of visits from these sites below but they are not part of our media buys. These are "referral" traffic with 100% new sessions, ATOS < 3 seconds, bounce rate +85%, not ghost referral(with valid hostname in my GA reports), normal browser sizes. However, I am wondering if they are "non-ghost referral spam" that I should exclude in my reports. Any idea?

• travelerabroad.com
  • isportsreviews.com
  • yourautolife.com
  • foodsforu.com
  • foodoptics.com
  • parentinghowtoguide.com
  • travellingbee.com
  • ignitioncars.com
  • myhealthyposts.com
  • grandtravelvacation.com
  • gamesituation.com
  • gardengirly.com
  • avidmom.com
  • blinkx.com

Thank you in advance!

Anita

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Referral Spam? 100% new sessions, ATOS < 3 seconds, bounce rate

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Anita,

To exclude known Crawlers you can enable the option "Exclude all hits from known bots" you can find it under view settings in the admin tab.

As for those referrals they don't look like spam, at least not the common spam. But if suddenly, there are thousand of visits from them, to different websites and the metrics(Bounce rate, AVG. session time) are odd then you should look into it.

It can be part of a negative link SEO or even some service that someone got for link building and "traffic".

In any case, first you need to check if there are real links to your site. If there are, you should check that those links and sites are not spammy, and the content of the page is related or make sense to be linked to your page.

If those links are bad for your sites excluding them in GA won't solve your problem, you will need to disavow them (Search Console) or ask the websites to remove them.

Hope that helps,
Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!
Analytics Consultant at Carloseo.com - Find me on Twitter | Email me

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Carlos,
Thank you for your advice.
All my sites have already enabled the "Exclude all hits from known bots", but we still have thousands of visits from s1.2mdn.net & s0.2mdn.net. That's why I'm wondering if these are indeed Google's crawler that I SHOULD exclude... since excluding them will lower our traffic significantlly, I don't want to create the filter unless I'm sure they're no good for my reporting... Smiley Happy

Thanks!
Anita
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Anita F
January 2016

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Anita, I found that these bots are crawlers from Google related to Ad platform DoubleClick. Not sure what exactly their purpose is but for sure is not relevant for your reports, since these are not real visits.

So you should definitely exclude by creating a Custom Filter > Exclude > Campaign Source > and in the filter pattern just type 2mdn.net
Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!
Analytics Consultant at Carloseo.com - Find me on Twitter | Email me

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Interesting.... Thank you Carlos!!

Referral Spam? 100% new sessions, ATOS &lt; 3 seconds, bounce rate +85%

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm not sure this is correct, we've had the same referral show up and it looks to be real visits. I've checked this traffic against GA events which only a real user would be able to fire and there are multiple interactions. Excluding this traffic would remove real user data