Analytics
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Referral Exclusions list not working for third party shopping carts

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We've noticed with more than one of our clients, all of which are ecommerce sites, that the referral exclusion list seems to have stopped working altogether. We're not trying to use it to exclude referral spam, but the REL doesn't seem to be working where it had been doing for legitimate third party payment sites, such as PayPal. Is anyone having the same problem? Or, even better, does anyone know of a solution? Thanks in advance!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Referral Exclusions list not working for third party shopping carts

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Kelly,
That is quite normal getting referral data from payment gateway like paypal and others. You can't eliminate all payment gateway referral data but there are few ways by which you can minimize that. Please check below post.

https://www.optimizesmart.com/tracking-true-referrals-in-google-analytics-when-using-paypal-and-othe...

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Santosh,

We've already done what we can from that list and the best resolve was using the referral exclusion list. It has been working until now, but has recently stopped excluding the referral traffic so it's skewing the data. What I need to know is if there's something wrong and if other users are seeing this issue or have a resolve that they've used. I don't need to know how to exclude them in the first place as that has already been done but is no longer working despite being set up correctly. Hope this makes sense!

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
I was facing the same issue for my website and able to minimize referrals from payment gateway in all possible ways. When I have implemented enhanced ecommerce tracking on my website but purpose was totally different payment gateway referrals disappeared but I'm not very sure about it . If you want you can try this .

Thanks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
We already have enhanced ecommerce tracking on both of them Smiley Sad Thank you anyway though.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
REL works by connecting a return visit with the original. See if you can isolate an example of the referral by city/service provider, and then check for previous traffic from that city/service provider. Is there actually a session that did not get connected? [just came to mind: did someone change your session timeout setting?]
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.