3.8K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Question for Experts

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am getting a high volume of traffic from supersimplesearch.com - is this valid traffic or spam?  

I cannot find anything on the internet about this type of traffic like I usually can about "spam" traffic - so I am wondering where this is coming from and if it is valid or no? 

Any help / thoughts would be greatly appreciated. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Question for Experts

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Chelsea,

given the name of the site, I would say that it is spam...

You could do these two things to be more sure about it:

1) Check if the bounce rate for this traffic source is 100% or close. Spammy sessions usually are associated with 100% bounce rate

2) In the Acquisition --> All traffic --> Source / Medium report, add "hostname" as a secondary dimension. Spammy sessions usually are associated with "not set" hostname

Example of spammy traffic on Google AnalyticsExample of spammy traffic on Google Analytics

Hope it helps!

Best,

Gabriele

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Gabriele - I added the hostname and it shows that it is coming from my site? the hostname is the same as my site name? How can that be?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Oh and the bounce rate is 8.18%

hostname.png

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Chelsea,

It's OK (and expected) that your hostname is the name of your website in the Source/Medium report. This is actually the hostname of the landing page on your site. It's strange that the bounce rate is so low, almost 0 for the that supposed "spam" site, but note that the number of new sessions is 100% which is another indicator of spam activity.

Here is a link to a great article that helps you deal with spam issues and the like: http://help.analyticsedge.com/spam-filter/definitive-guide-to-removing-google-analytics-spam/

Hope this helps.
Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

other indicators for spam:

1. Choose as second dimension "browser size", a result with a "value" of "(not set)" hypothesizes spam.
  2. If the traffic occure on one day, i.e. a peak in the line diagramm, it could be a signal for spam.

Bye. Nils

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Another Option is that if the source completed any valid Goal in Analytics?
Most probably it will be not competing any Goal.
This is more convincing I think.If it is genuine traffic then there is a high possibility that it will complete at least one Goal in your case more likely a form submission or sale Goal .

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks everyone!! I will do the things you suggested - I wish it was "real" traffic -- :/

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Chelsea,

sorry for the late reply. From the data in your screenshot it is evident that supersimplesearch.com is definitely a spam site (as already pointed out in an answer above: the hostname value for the source "supersimplesearch.com" is normal, but the bounce rate and new sessions values aren't normal and indicate spam).

You can refer to the link posted by Nicky for a solution on how to filter out spammy sites from your GA data.

Best,
Gabriele