Analytics
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Possible referral spam coming in as organic traffic

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

I hope I've put this in the right section, but we're seeing some weird stuff happening in GA since last week and I'm hoping someone here can help me figure out what I'm dealing with. Since April 6th, organic traffic for one of our properties is showing a sudden increase from 70 to 80 users per day, to around 450 users per day (last Monday was close to 600 users). I've tried to pinpoint what's happening and so far I can see that the increase is mostly caused by hits from users with English language settings (other languages increased as well but not as much). I can also see that all the users that cause this increase do not have any landing page set, en mostly no other counted metrics (see screenshot). What is also weird is that, when segmenting organic traffic, the % New Sessions metric shows 851.92% for last Sunday. After some digging, my final hunch is this being referral spam, but since the % New Sessions metric is clearly showing a incorrect number, and the fact that all of these users have no sessions, page views and a bounce rate of 0%, I'm still in the dark. Does anyone have an idea what could cause this?

Thanks in advance!

Knipsel.PNG

Possible referral spam coming in as organic traffic

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It could very well be referral spam, and that is coming in many different varieties these days. Since it's with your organic traffic, look at the associated keywords. Spammers often use that dimension along with fake organic traffic to fill your analytics with lots of garbage. In the meantime, you might want to implement some of the techniques for eliminating spam traffic from your Analytics.