Analytics
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Paypal as referral source

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

We use paypal as a payment acceptance method on our website. 

Process is as follows:

1) User goes to checkout

2) user selects paypal (as alternative to credit card)

3) User hits checkout button

4) User is taken to external paypal page

5) On completion of payment user lands back on our confirmation page.

Works perfectly well, BUT because in google analytics, a successful conversion is classed as a visit to our confirmation page, analytics is attributing the conversion and revenue to paypal as a referral source, which is obviously incorrect. As paypal accounts for about 25% of our payments, this is skewing our aquisition data.

We looked first at excluding paypal as a referral source see

https://www.optimizesmart.com/tracking-true-referrals-in-google-analytics-when-using-paypal-and-othe...

But this isn't 100% reliable, and doesn't correctly attribute the traffic/sale/revenue.

I'm guessing this is a very common issue but I can't find a solution anywhere.

Does anybody know of a solution that will assign the original method of visitor aquisition in Analytics?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Tim

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

+1 to this issue. Please notify incase anyone has a solution for this. We have tried adding the payment gateway partners to the referral exclusion list and it solves the problem to an extent. Also, can someone please clarify if the utm nooverride still works or has been depricated?

Thanks

Sajith M

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

Check Arnold M response here @ https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Google-Analytics-Tracking-Goals/Paypal-as-a-referral-even-...

It is true and I have tested it on my website.

thanks

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

Add Paypal to the referral exclusion list, ensure you are using universal analytics and not classic analytics. This stops the session creating a new session and will retain the campaign referrer for which ever source/medium it should have been. Be aware once you've done the exclusion list, you will have to clear your cookies or try incognito mode to test this has worked correctly.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I love this community, it proves there is hardly ever a new problem and there is always someone willing to help - thank you. The prize for the dumbest question goes to me: How do I tell which version of analystics I am using and if, as seems to be my luck, I am using classic is it easy to change that and will I lose data to date or anything upsetting like that? Thanks