Analytics
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

PayPal as referral source - NEW

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Have reviewed several other relevant questions and answers here but none give a complete answer on how to solve it, 

we operate a self-serve client dashboard, this is the flow 

1. user registers to our dashboard

2. fills in client details

3. user clicks paypal button and is redirected to paypal

4. after funding user is returned to our dashboard

we have goals on registration, activation, successful funds

works well till before funding the account, but once account is funded all deposits are listed under paypal.com, which is clearly wrong. 

We're interested in seeing the original referral source so we can increase our spend on adwords 

I'm hearing a lot about session time and universal / custom analytics etc, i'm not that familiar with universal analytics and how to switch to it and if it will effect my goal setup. 

Is there any way to fix this? 

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Bronwyn V (Top Contributor)
September

Re: PayPal as referral source - NEW

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi, go to Admin > Property > Tracking info

Screenshot 2017-05-11 09.44.57.png

Add a new exclusion for paypal.com

Enjoy :-)

VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

From what I gather so far, this will exclude paypal from my referrals list, but will also exclude conversions generated from it, this will leave my data incomplete instead of attributing the conversions to the right referrals. 

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @Idan K. Referral traffic from PayPal.com is counted as a new session unless you add it to your Referral Exclusion List. I believe your stats, including conversions, will continue to be tracked - they will just be attributed to the session prior to visiting PayPal.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

But it doesn't, i've done that a long while ago, didn't change a thing, 

I also updated the returning URL via the PayPal dashboard to include a nooveride=1 parameter which didn't solve it, 

to add info, we are running a single-page app, or so i'm told. 

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Maybe you didn't set it up properly? No offense but I handle a large number of customers and I have yet to encounter an issue with referral exclusion.

Adding utm_nooverride has been made obsolete by Universal Analytics 6 years ago.

Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

No Offense as well, you're probably right as I find this part very confusing, our client dashboard is built in angularJS and we've setup different URLs to track goals properly, the thing is when a deposit occurs and tracked on paypal, I lose all the pre-conversion data. 

Here is the setup for exclusion i have in google analytics for paypal.com; IMGUR Link - pretty straightforward

yet here it is counting all the deposits!  - http://imgur.com/a/zE9vV

I am trying to solve this for about 4 weeks now and have consulted which external resource which also didn't figure this out so i'm stuck. would appreciate any feedback. 

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Right, there is a chance you're being faced with campaign source latency.

By default your marketing campaign lasts for 6 months as long as you keep returning to the site using direct traffic.

In your case, judging from the extremely low number of new users, I am guessing the harm is done and you will have to wait out for the next 6 months until the situation fixes itself.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

but this isn't direct traffic, it's traffic bought through google adwords and facebook, i'm not sure I understand why it would take 6 months to work out if it isn't direct traffic..?

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

what matters is that people *return* as direct traffic, meaning they're still counted as paypal for a while