Analytics
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Page paths I don't recognise - spam?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, I hope someone is able to advise me.

I have a new-ish website and have very recently started to use Analytics for it. 'Content drilldown' shows a weird list of pages that aren't part of my site. Why are these appearing and how should I tackle them?

Also, I wanted to post an image (screen capture) with this post, but got the following error message: "Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied."

Please help!

Thanks in advance Smiley Happy

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Page paths I don't recognise - spam?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi,

Check the source of those pages, if you see things like copyrightclaim, alibestsale or adfly(there are many others)as a page or page title, the is spam.

Fake pages are a characteristic of Ghost spam in Google Analytics. You can stop it using filters in your GA since there are many spammers around filtering each one of them is inefficient. The best way to do it is by creating a filter that will only allow valid traffic using your hostname.

I created this step by step guide for applying this solution; you will also find more information related to this issue.

Hope it helps you,
Carlos

Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!
Analytics Consultant at Carloseo.com - Find me on Twitter | Email me

Re: Page paths I don't recognise - spam?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks very much, Carlos - I'll give that a try! Smiley Happy