Analytics
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Over 50% Traffic from Russia and Bizarre Referrals

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

As the subject suggests, I launched a site in early November and haven't really done my optimisation until now. However, I did set up Analytics and Installed the 'Google Analytics Dashboard for WP' Wordpress Plugin for my colleague to easily see Analytics within the WP Dashboard.

I noticed that over 50% of the sites traffic is coming from Russia, which seems a little strange to me. There is also a few other Referrals which seem slightly odd.
I also have another site which is in a completely different industry, yet hosted with the same company and uses Wordpress.

I have included two screenshots from Google Analytics from both sites, you can see some similar Referrals that appears on both.

If I look at the site stats through AW Stats on cPanel, you will not find these Referrals and a large majority of the traffic comes from Great Britain (which makes sense).

Any ideas why this could be the case?

Site A

Screen Shot 2016-02-01 at 12.36.30.png

Site B

Screen Shot 2016-02-01 at 12.48.54.png

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Over 50% Traffic from Russia and Bizarre Referrals

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Tom,

Please check this excellent article about referral spam:

http://help.analyticsedge.com/spam-filter/definitive-guide-to-removing-google-analytics-spam/

Hope it helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Arnold,

I see! Thanks for this, so initially this is a fault with Google and their new Measurement Protocol?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Tom,

Yes, the spammers use the measurement protocol for sending fake hits to GA without visiting your site.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital