AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Only seeing referral spam and no real-time data

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Since updating our website to a WordPress site in October 2015 - www.sanddflooring.co.uk  , I have been unable to track any real data. The real-time function does not work and when another employee visits the site on their phone and PC it does not register it. Plus, we only seem to acquire referral traffic from spam sites that are based in the US and China and are only getting one or two visitors from the UK - even then it is difficult to determine whether they are real or not.   

I am a bit of a novice with these sort of things and find it hard to understand all the technical jargon. Is there anything that can be done to reduce or prevent referral spam and how can i get Google Analytics to track real data that shows the acquisition of visitors who live in the UK.

Any help would be much appreciated. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Only seeing referral spam and no real-time data

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Steve :-)

I just looked at the site www.sanddflooring.co.uk and there does not seem to be any tracking code installed
I checked with Google Tag Assistant, and also if you go to the website and right click and view source then search the source code for analytics, the search comes up empty.

Once the tracking code is installed, them you should start to see visitor data within 24hrs or so

I strongly suggest using a free plugin to add the tracking such as the following
https://wordpress.org/plugins/google-analytics-dashboard-for-wp/

As far as filtering spam data, I suggest setting up another View and applying a hostname filter, and then using the following free service to apply and keep the filters updated
https://referrerspamblocker.com/
Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Bronwyn Smiley Happy

I have installed the WP plugin and activated it, does this now mean the site has a source code?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

It means there is now google analytics tracking code installed and its visible when checking the site source code :-))

The tracking code needs to be installed in the website pages, in order to track site visitor data- which is what the plugin does for you.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi.

How would I go about installing the tracking code on each of the website pages.

P.S. Analytics real-time is working , as far as I can tell, as it shows that I am on it.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Sorry i edited my previous reply as it wasnt clear
The plugin adds the tracking code to each page and post for you, no need to manually add it to each page

I do suggest reading up the help pages etc for the plugin to learn about how to configure it correctly etc
https://deconf.com/google-analytics-dashboard-wordpress/

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Bronwyn :-)

Is there a reason why when i am viewing the site on another pc its not registering on any other part of Google Analytics apart from Real-time. When would it register it on the Audience, Acquisition and Behavior tabs.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

You are welcome Steve :-))

Google analytics doesnt provide real time data except i the real time reports.
The other standard reports can take anywhere from 20mins to 48hrs to show visitor data after it has happened on the site.

edited to add - also bare in mind due to the time lag re reporting, the default date range that is being viewed does not include the current days date. You can change that via the date panel at the upper right to adjust the date range to include the current day (if the data has been processed)

To learn about google analytics, i do recommend the following free learning resources
Digital Analytics Fundamentals https://analyticsacademy.withgoogle.com/course01
Google Analytics Platform Principles https://analyticsacademy.withgoogle.com/course02.

Cheers

Bronwyn