Analytics
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Odd Iphone traffic (100% Bounce rate)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everyone.

I have an issue that I am a bit at a loss with, maybe some of you guys are seeing the same or know what the real issue is. Our site is a social site that hinges on people sharing content. And a subset of these people are bouncing 100% and thus not creating new traffic. 

iphone-screenshot-GA-edit.png

Since the 15th of March we are seeing some odd traffic from what I have dubbed "odd iphones", which is basically bouncing 100%. They are categorized just as "iphones" in the device analysis. It is basically all new traffic.

I tried getting their user agents from our log files, but this is a bit tricky due to the amount of traffic we have. Hence I created a new GA account and tracked them as custom variables to not mess with our current implementation. I get mostly this "Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 10_2_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/602.4.6 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.0 Mobile/14D27 Safari/602.1" which looks like a normal UA to me and would match the device according to different Device information sites. (PS: It would be great if the UA would come out of the box in GA)

When drilling down to geo I see the following cities for this traffic (Santa Clara, San Jose, Holly Springs, Mountain View, Fuquay Varina, Manchester)

The ISP is almost 100% (not set) with a tiny fraction coming from amazon.

Traffic sources are organic facebook and direct (which is fully in line with our regular traffic).

Landing pages are also in line with what we would expect to see in terms of shared content. Hostnames are in line with what we would expect in terms of subdomain/content combination

We can't reproduce any issue on our end (unfortunately not located state side) that would cause this. We don't see this in other countries. We don't see it on other devices. We don't see any increases in our error tracking tools (though they are considerably sampled due to traffic amount)...

Currently I have 2 theories what is going on:

1.  This is an odd bot net of considerable size, but I have no clue why they are hitting us. We are basically a publisher and I don't see the reason for this traffic, content scraping could be done way easier and they would have to log in with Facebook (which is not happening according to our tracking in GA and FB)
  2. There is a new IOS/safari version coming up and this is part of the "alpha test" and it is not going well Smiley Very Happy . This is due to the fact that it is only safari webkit (yes I am aware the all browsers on iOS are basically safari webkit) and coming from locations that have apple "offices" or routing traffic.

I would be very happy to hear any feedback from you.

Thank you in advance, Conrad.

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

This can be spam referrals / bot traffic. Just google out the issues and you can see the solutions/fixes.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for your hint, we are already filtering out spam referrals with various methods (in GA and GTM). As for bots, this might be, we already have the bot filters activated in GA.

I would like to be able to support/prove either hypothesis. Do you have any indication as to how? My current 0 hypothesis is "I have a serious issue with Iphones (I can't reproduce)", since our other numbers go down as the "odd iphones" go up.

I am looking forward to your suggestions on the proving or other ideas. 

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

"My current 0 hypothesis is "I have a serious issue with Iphones (I can't reproduce)", since our other numbers go down as the "odd iphones" go up."

That makes sense @Conrad M... I don't know what the solution would be, but since you know which device combinations are creating the problem, maybe you can work backwards from there? There's a lot of iPhone forums out there - Maybe you can figure out if there is a device based issue as it relates to GA tracking, and you'll be the first one to let everyone in the GA forum know? Smiley Happy

Tom