Analytics
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Non-Google Display Campaign & Time on Site

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So, I'm running a display campaign through a DSP that is not Google. I see the referral traffic in GA. I see Sessions in GA. But Time Spent on Site is 0.00. This has been the case on every campaign I've run on every site I manage. I assume Google simply can't measure TOS from outside display campaigns. Am I wrong? Or what's going on there?

Re: Non-Google Display Campaign & Time on Site

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello Jared!

Time on Site is a misleading name, it is calculated as the difference in time between the first and last hit of a session. So if your display campaign drives users to a landing page that collects leads, then you will not get any time information on users until they perform their second "hit" to Google Analytics. This hit can be a page view, an event or a transaction.

It is also possible that your display campaign has a low last click conversion rate - in which case you may want to look at multi channel funnel reports.

You can also fire an event based on a timer to see how long the user takes before they leave.