Analytics
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

List with 100 of ghost referrals

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I know how to add a filter and segment and works well but may I ask someone for help to add list of 50 or 100 ghost referrals in bulk or just more than one in one filter? Thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author iHomeware U
December 2015

Re: List with 100 of ghost referrals

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey there,

To add multiple referrals in one filter, you can use regular expressions, dividing each referral with a vertical bar "|" which means OR and add it to an exclude custom filter with Campaign Source as a filter field.

spam1|spam2|spam3|spam4

And so on until you reach 255 characters, after that you will need to create a second filter. This will save you some time and keep your filters more organized. Just make sure you don't leave a bar at the end or the beginning of the expression or else you will exclude everything

A better solution that will save you even more time and stop all fake referrals is to create a filter that will include traffic only from your valid hostnames. This is a preventive solution instead of corrective like the previous one and will keep cleaner your reports

Hope it helps,

Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!
Analytics Consultant at Carloseo.com - Find me on Twitter | Email me

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author iHomeware U
December 2015

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey there,

To add multiple referrals in one filter, you can use regular expressions, dividing each referral with a vertical bar "|" which means OR and add it to an exclude custom filter with Campaign Source as a filter field.

spam1|spam2|spam3|spam4

And so on until you reach 255 characters, after that you will need to create a second filter. This will save you some time and keep your filters more organized. Just make sure you don't leave a bar at the end or the beginning of the expression or else you will exclude everything

A better solution that will save you even more time and stop all fake referrals is to create a filter that will include traffic only from your valid hostnames. This is a preventive solution instead of corrective like the previous one and will keep cleaner your reports

Hope it helps,

Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Carlos,

Thank you so much for your prompt reply and your 'better solution' is an amazing solution! Really helps.

Kind regards,
Donald

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It is okay to create a Referrer Spam filter(s) AND Valid Hostnames? Or is that too much of an overkill?

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
If you create the Valid Hostname filter you will take care of most of the spam, however, there are a few crawlers that will need a separate filter.

You can have as many exclude filters but you can only have one include hostname filter.