AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Links from Analytics go to another website

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all, I have a very urgent problem. I have started to help a client with their SEO and the first thing I did was checking the website data. The problem is that when I relate the landing page with the acquisition channel and I check where the traffic goes, i do not land on the website but on another website. What does it mean and how can I solve it?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Erika B
September 2016

Re: Links from Analytics go to another website

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
It seems that the site was moved to a new domain and they didn't update the settings in GA. The domain needs to be added to the Referral Exclusion List in order to prevent self referrals. You need edit permissions in order to make changes to a property.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

Please check if the default URL in Admin -> Property -> Property Settings and the Website's URL in Admin -> View -> View Settings is correct. Let me know what you find.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
OMG - the Default URL is adsagency.com which is also in the Referral Exclusion List. Why that?

By the way, I did not set Google Analytics myself but another webmaster. How do I change it?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Erika B
September 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
It seems that the site was moved to a new domain and they didn't update the settings in GA. The domain needs to be added to the Referral Exclusion List in order to prevent self referrals. You need edit permissions in order to make changes to a property.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi, Erika

There are multiple chances for this issue to occur. Please check the listed ones.

1) You might have been given access to different account/website. Check if you have got access to same website's analytics.
2) As Mr.Arnold mentioned, the site might have been moved. Make sure both the Default and Website URL's are changed - for all the views that you have created and using. You might require property level edit access to do the suggested procedure.
3) Check whether the UA code is placed on the correct website and matches the one in the Google Analytics.

Tip: Make sure you don't forget to update the same in SEARCH CONSOLE as well. Since, you will get the data in analytics from it as well. Just to prevent confusion.

Hope this might be helpful.

Thanks.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you so much