Analytics
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Is it a better option to block the spam traffic by filtering it in GA or blocking it through server

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I receive a lot of referral spam traffic into my GA report. I never have added a filter but thought to add one though. Now am confused with is it a better option to block it through filter in GA or is it better to block it through server level ? If server level how to fix it ? as these traffic often affect the bandwidth of the website and lessens the performance and worst case hack the site. Am much concerned about this and seeking expert advice. Kindly help. Thank you.  

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nirup R
July

Is it a better option to block the spam traffic by filtering it in GA or blocking it through server

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)
Quite often spam data cannot be blocked at the server level, as often it is not generated by actual visits to your site.

The following article is the most indepth guide on the various types of spam data that can occur and how to create the filters and segments necessary for keeping your data clean and spam free

http://help.analyticsedge.com/spam-filter/definitive-guide-to-removing-google-analytics-spam/

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nirup R
July

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)
Quite often spam data cannot be blocked at the server level, as often it is not generated by actual visits to your site.

The following article is the most indepth guide on the various types of spam data that can occur and how to create the filters and segments necessary for keeping your data clean and spam free

http://help.analyticsedge.com/spam-filter/definitive-guide-to-removing-google-analytics-spam/

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Bronwayn Smiley Happy

Thank you for your advice, the article was thoughtful. Thanks again.