Analytics
1K members online now
1K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Invalid Bot Traffic from Chrome Broswer Version 39.0.2171.95

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We are seeing a huge spike in Direct traffic on all 3 of our websites. When looking deeper is appears to mostly be coming from Google Chrome Browser 39.0.2171.95. How can we fix this besides filtering that version out of analytics, as there is some actual real traffic coming from the browser version as well.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Invalid Bot Traffic from Chrome Broswer Version 39.0.2171.95

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

start going to Admin > View > View Settings and check the box related to bot filtering.
See: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ppsxfsznqh64vaa/Screenshot%202015-11-10%2017.03.31.png?dl=0
VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Julien,

Unfortunately we have had that box checked for a long time now and has not fixed the issue.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Have you tried crossing that browser version with a geolocation or an ISP?
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Am i able to see secondary dimension of ISP in GA?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Yup, Service Provider

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you, unfortunately its spread pretty evenly over providers and "not set".

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Chris, I have been seeing the same since July 9 2015. It is distributed across networks and geography. Desktop only, 99% Bounce. It is highly unusual that there would be anything but minimal traffic from such an old browser. I suspect that it is caused by a browser hijack that is exploiting vulnerability in this browser. Prior to July 9 2015, I was seeing a similar pattern of spam direct traffic from desktop only in IE7,8 and 9. There appears to have been a switch between the older IE browsers and Chrome 39.02171.95 on that date.

I would be very interested in comparing notes with you on this. At the moment I fear our only option is to exclude this browser entirely. I am in the process of doing my due diligence before making that change - seeing how close I can get to only filtering out the bad traffic without losing the small amount of legit traffic coming from this browser.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Final check: check Audience > Technology > Network > Hostname.
Crosscheck Hostname not related with your site with that 'rogue' browser of yours and presto! Spam identified!
Should this hypothesis prove true, just apply a filter to your view that only includes the Hostname of your website.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Julien,
That did not identify the issue as only 200 visits of 113,000 are from a Hostname other than ours.