Analytics
3K members online now
3K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Increase in mobile direct traffic on homepage

E S
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
E S
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey everyone,

I hope someone here might try to help. 

Issue: 

Since more than one month we observe big increase in our direct traffic for our homepage (not spike but overall increase that appeared on 05.07 and numbers of sessions stay on this higher level), and "not set" as page type/group. 

After doing following research, I could exclude following: 

- we did make any changes in our tag manager / GA settings 

- we did not start some extra campaigns without UTM etc. (than anyway we would see spikes an not overall increase) 

- I check and exclude as well bots / spam as setting in views is correct (exclude bots) and second dimensions (country, browser version etc.) does not show any suspicious observations 

- This traffic is mostly on mobile & Android & iOS - I thought it might be as maybe more users are using Google Now & Google Search App, which goes in GA as direct traffic. This could be a case if the increase would be over time, but not "at once" and stay like that. 

Some further ideas??? Thank you in advance 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Increase in mobile direct traffic on homepage

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey,
Have you tried checking if source is being recorded in your app(Android & IOS) becuase if GA is not able to find and source it refers it as direct, sometimes GA sources get lost before sending data to GA.

What you should do is test by coming from a organic source and check if you are able to see yourself in google analytics real time with the correct source

Hope this helps,
check out more queries for your knowledge http://marketlytics.com/analytics-faq

Cheers
Noman Karim

Re: Increase in mobile direct traffic on homepage

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Have you tried looking in the Search Queries area of Google Analytics or taking a look at your webmaster tools and also looking at search queries to understand if there's a specific keyword which is causing a jump in your traffic. This will help for google / organic traffic but won't help for any traffic coming from direct.

Are you running paid campaigns that target mobile as well?
Joshua, Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

E S
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
E S
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for your suggestion.

I checked it, but it was not that case. But after some time we found solution: Tracking in our apps was set up not properly, so the data in some places were send to app & web in same time. 

E S
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
E S
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Noman, 

it was not exactly the solution, but we started to check more deeper & we basicly found out that the tracking in app was not set up correctly, so we were tracking some elementes "double" by sending them to app & web in the same time. Thx for your support! 

Ewa

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

hi @E S,

you are wellcome, happy to hear you find a solution Smiley Happy