Analytics
5.6K members online now
5.6K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Include Hostname Filter STILL Not blocking Ghost Spam

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have been researching how to block ghost spam from my GA account. I am currently testing the include hostname filter. Even though it has cleaned up the hostname list quite a bit I am STILL receiving hits from ghost spam such as how.to.travel.....etc. Are there any other solutions out there to get this cleaned up?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Include Hostname Filter STILL Not blocking Ghost Spam

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi @Criterion, if you created a filter to include only your hostnames then it shouldn't let pass this referral.

To things to consider. First, it can pass up to 24hrs for the filter to start working. Second check the hostnames you added, sometimes the spammers use a google or some known name as hostname, this are not valid, also check if you didn't leave any bar character "|" at the end of the expression, beginning or double bar, this will include everything.

If its possible share your expression for the filter (if you want just change your domain address for mysite.com)
Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!
Analytics Consultant at Carloseo.com - Find me on Twitter | Email me

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

good reference: http://help.analyticsedge.com/spam-filter/definitive-guide-to-removing-google-analytics-spam/

Data already stored can't be cleaned up, but you can add segments to remove spam while viewing the reports.

Best Regards,
GA Guru.

'Star' or 'Accept as Solution' if it helped.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Criterion,

There are many sources for removing Ghost Spam, one of my favourites is https://referrerspamblocker.com/ as they have a running blacklist of known spam domains. They also have the option to auto-add the segments GA Guru mentioned so you do not have to do it yourself.