Analytics
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Huge amount of "fake" visitors

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello !

Below is two screenshots from my Google analytics page

My site is french, located in France, and i dont seem to have a real audience in the US,

but i noticed three problems :

- 400 visits located from the US (geographic representation)

- 446 from China Language (?)

And it appears to be "real" visits (root page "/" but Js and css ressources loaded), when i look at the web statistics directly from my website http logs.

A quick check from the IP Adresses seems to show a lot of connections from "Global Frag Networks"

I really would like to have clean stats, even for a really small website.

Anybody have an idea ?

thanks a lot in advance !

FireShot Screen Capture #047 - 'Origine géographique - Google Analytics' - www_google_com_analytics_web_#report_visitors-geo_a5570647w27081892p25757149.pngFireShot Screen Capture #046 - 'Langue - Google Analytics' - www_google_com_analytics_web_#report_visitors-language_a5570647w27081892p25757149.png

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Huge amount of "fake" visitors

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Damien,

You are receiving referral spam. Here is a great article that will help you to deal with it:
http://help.analyticsedge.com/spam-filter/definitive-guide-to-removing-google-analytics-spam/

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Arnold,

Thanks for your answer, but this seems to be something else,

All visits are "real", not "ghost", and moreover these are direct hits (not referral)

FireShot Screen Capture #048 - 'Canaux - Google Analytics' - www_google_com_analytics_web_#report_acquisition-channels_a5570647w27081892p25757149.png

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Damien,

The spammers are sending the hits directly to Google Analytics using the measurement protocol, without visiting your site. They can fake every parameter in the payload. Most of the time these hits are coming as direct to your home page and 100% bounce rate. The weird thing is that the js and css resources are loaded, is that applies to all fake visits?

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a setup where I'm trying to transition from one GA account held by the old agency to a new GA account that is dedicated to the client. The GA code looks like this:

Screen Shot 2016-01-21 at 7.44.33 AM.png

The interesting part is that the two accounts, while they have identical settings, show completely different results. The old account shows no referral spam:

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Damien,

This is not the common referral or Ghost spam, it is a bot of some kind, maybe a service, it isn't necessarily bad either, but for sure irrelevant for analysis.

I've worked with a few accounts with this issue and they share some characteristics:

• The traffic is direct with close to 100% bounce rate
  • The unusual direct traffic started around 5 of July 2015
  • Many of these hits used old versions of flash especially version 11.5 r502 and chrome version 39.0.2171.95.

The ideal would be to detect the source of the traffic and exclude it, but since the source haven't been identified, your best option would be to create a segment using some patterns from these visits, for example, hits using flash version 11.5 r502 and homepage and less than a second. Here is an example of one of the accounts I worked with, in orange All sessions, in blue the segment without the unusual direct traffic.

Direct-traffic-on-July-2015

The advantages of the segments over the filters is that you can add multiple conditions which lower the risk of excluding real data. Also, segments are not permanent.

Here you can find an article I wrote talking about this issue: http://www.ohow.co/unusual-increase-in-direct-traffic-on-ga-spam/

Hope it helps,

Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!
Analytics Consultant at Carloseo.com - Find me on Twitter | Email me

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey,

I'm seeing the exact same issue, except the previous browser version has changed to a new one:

• Traffic from July 5, 2015 until January 25, 2016 from browser version 39.0.2171.95 
  • Traffic from browser version 43.0.2357.130 since January 25

It looks like bot traffic/compromised browsers? From both browsers there is a tiny proportion of "real" (or at least, not bouncing) sessions, so I'm not keen to filter them out.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

"Traffic from browser version 43.0.2357.130 since January 25"
Same exact issue here in Google Analytics from the same date, but only for some of our sites. Other sites have normal bounce rate for that version.
It seems to be getting bounced by VWO tools as well which is messing up targeting in some cases (placing all of them in the Control), ONLY for that browser version.

Anyone have any insight?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm having a similar issue:

Lots of direct traffic from US, with valid hostname (that of the site), not from any particular city or browser.. 

TDF1.png

And I did try the solution of creating a custom dimension: to create a filter to only include traffic that has the dimension value set (upon running the GA code, so only valid visits come in). But that had all the visits showing the dimension value!

Please help out !?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm also getting many fake sessions (25%) on my website starting from 25 January, they are all coming from chrome 43.0.2357.130.

did anyone manage to solve this ?