AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

How to disavow spam traffic

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

I was in SEMRush and noticed that a domain in Russia is referring a ton of traffic to my company's website. I did visit the domain and it looks like it's vaguely in the same industry (but not terribly reputable-looking). SEMRush is telling me that the referring domain is untrustworthy and having so many backlinks from them could trigger google penalties on my company. 

The question is, I think there's a way in SEMRush to disavow that domain, but is there something I should be doing in GA as well? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to disavow spam traffic

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi @Litmon, those are separate things

First, you need to check if there are real backlinks to your site. Most of the spam is sent directly to your Google Analytics and there isn't a real link to your site, in that case, you don't need to disavow. Just filtering the spam.

If you do find a link from that site and you consider it low quality and spammy or a negative SEO campaign then you can tell Google to not consider it for your site or what is the same disavow it, just be very careful with this and make sure the links are bad for your site.

Hope it helps,

Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!
Analytics Consultant at Carloseo.com - Find me on Twitter | Email me