Analytics
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

How to create an Analytics filter for cyrillic domains?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Seeing referrer spam from a cyrillic domain. How do I successfully add a cyrillic doman to an analytics filter?
the cyrillic version of the domain is : с.новым.годом.рф
in Chrome the domain is seen as   :  xn--q1a.xn--b1aube0e.xn--c1acygb.xn--p1ai

Any idea how to filter these types of domains?

Håkan 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dokk o
January 2016

Re: How to create an Analytics filter for cyrillic domains?

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

In most cases spammers are using measurement protocol to sending data directly to Google Analytics property. It means that they don't know your hostname.

spam-hostname.png

That's why you should configure filter which include only traffic with hostname dimension properly set.

hostname-filter.png

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, seemed to help! Just one additional clarification: in case I would add my youtube property or similar, I assume I would need to add a second filter to allow for youtube.com?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
You can't apply two hostname filters on the same view because you will get nothing on the output. You have to use advanced filter and regular expression.

But we apply filters to views not to Analytics property.
So if you create another property for another website you have to create new filters for views in new property.
Ghost spam problem mostly concerns first Analytics property on account (UA-XXXXX-1). When you create another property on the same Analytics account you don't need to worry about this kind of spam (mostly).

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
OK, thanks!