Analytics
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

How are redirects with the same root-level logged?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Three years ago, we launched a new website and redirected the old URLs from pages that no longer existed to a landing page. Since the redirects both feature the same root-level domain, how would those redirects be logged in Google Analytics? Would the original URL be shown as a referral or would it be considered direct or organic traffic because it's coming from the same domain?

I hope that made sense. Thank you for your help!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How are redirects with the same root-level logged?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Courtney,

If you did the redirects properly, that is a 301 redirect on the server level, you would not see the redirect in the reports but would see the original traffic source. That is also the conundrum in that it really depends on how the user would find their way to the redirect, if they are typing it in directly or using a bookmark, then the user would show as the last campaign setting stored. This is cookie dependent so that whether or not the cookie was still available would impact the actual source.

If the redirects were done with another method or on the client level, your attribution would be broken and it could show as a self referral or direct.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn