AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2K members online now
2K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

High spam traffic with filters on.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm getting a lot of spam on my page even with filters on.

I have excluded the domains in my tracking info and added segments with spam filters.

There is no effect

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: High spam traffic with filters on.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Excluding domains won't help you much at all, however segments should work if you have set them up right.

What segments are you using?

I wrote this article about this very topic recently and just updated it, it should help!

http://ppcgirl.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/filtering-spam-made-easy.html

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi,

referral exclusion should never be used to exclude spam traffic.

You can exclude spam traffic:
1. Subsequent hits - view filters - it will applied from the time the filter is activated
2. Historic data - you can only exclude data from reports but it can lead to a lot of sampling

One of the most up to date articles (with most details) - http://www.analyticsedge.com/2014/12/removing-referral-spam-google-analytics/

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi Lubomir,

The problem with the basic approach of filtering spam is that the spammers are constantly changing the referrals. For example, you go to your reports and see the spam social-buttons you create a filter for it and after 2 weeks the spammer changes it to get-shares, then you create another filter for it, and it goes on and on.

So you end up with dozens of filters, and it's inefficient because by the time you create those filters you already received some hits.

The best approach is to create a filter that includes only valid traffic using your hostnames, this way instead of running behind the spam, you will be preventing most of it, which will save you tons of time and keep clean your reports.

The analyticsedge guide recommended by Zorin is excellent if you follow it and create the filters you won't have to worry too much about the spam.

As for the segment to clean historical data you can use the same approach; I have a guide for creating a segment to remove spam that might help you with too.

Hope it helps,

Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!
Analytics Consultant at Carloseo.com - Find me on Twitter | Email me

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for this information.