AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

High Tablet traffic

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys, 

For the last three months i have circa 80% of the traffic coming from tablets (usually around 20%). Isolating this traffic gets more and more suspicious.

- Device: Tablet

- Channel: Direct

- Bounce rate: 98%

- Avg.Session duration: 1sec

- Hostnames all good

- Device info: Samsung SM-T550 Galaxy Tab A 9.7 (99%)

- Browser: Chrome (99%)

- New Sessions: 100%

- Traffic constant across the day looking by hour

- Languages looks ok

- Network look ok

-  Country/city looks ok

Any idea on proving this traffic is not legit?

Many Thanks,

David 

1 Expert replyverified_user

High Tablet traffic

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

You say Network looks Ok, and Country/City looks ok - does that mean all from one or many different values? 'ok' would be many different values. Constant traffic by hour is suspicious; check landing pages -- the fact that 99% is a single tablet device type suggests it could be a bot running in an emulator. The latest (language) spam was like that -- an iPhone emulator did the bulk of the crap. Check browser version...all one version = bot.

Maybe it is an uptime monitor (one network)? Or a shopping bot (do you have an ecommerce site)? 

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

High Tablet traffic

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your response.

Yes, when i say it looks good i mean that comes from different values and not unusual patterns vs site average are found. The landing page is the homepage and the Chrome browser version seems ok (all versions up to 55). 

The site is not ecommerce and don't see any anomaly  looking at the networks. 

For the moment i'm using a segment to exclude this traffic before applying a filter for which i would need more evidence this is not legitimate.

Thanks a lot, hope it disappears soon!

David

High Tablet traffic

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

The thing about tablets and browsers is kind of weird in a traffic analysis. People browse on a tablet and leave tabs open, close the tablet, open the tablet, flip through open apps, read something else.  Does this all trigger GA direct visits? Don't know. Is there something about the Tab A that works a little differently? Maybe. Do you have an 'app'?

Sorry I can't be of any more help. In the world of traffic, there are spammers (that leave something designed to make you click) and there are bots (designed for various other purposes) and there are real users that end up on your site unintentionally (cause by ad fraud networks or bad page designs). Our job continues to get harder...

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.