AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Google encouraging spamming .xyz'ers

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It seems whenever i remove a .xyz domain from spamming through my filters another one shows up just as quickly as i blocked the last one then i remove that .xyz and another one shows. This is never ending and it looks like google is encouraging these spam attacks.

Removing these .xyz's manually is a ludicrous suggestion, i imagine these Russian spammers have as many as 200.000 of these domains (easily) are we expected to manually filter out all 200 hundred thousand of these spammers ourselves (individually cases by case!)╭(`Д´)╮

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google encouraging spamming .xyz'ers

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi @L00ncan,

Trying to filter each spammer is a never ending battle as you mentioned. This type of spam has a lifespan of around 2 weeks after that time the spammer just changes the name.

To avoid having to create/update filters to exclude every spammer, I recommend you to create a filter that will only INCLUDE valid traffic using your hostnames. One filter will keep away all spam of this type, no matter the type of name they use

You can find here a detailed guide on how to create this filter:
http://www.ohow.co/what-is-referrer-spam-how-stop-it-guide/

Hope it helps,

Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!
Analytics Consultant at Carloseo.com - Find me on Twitter | Email me

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks but no thanks. Nobody should be reading up on pages upon pages because the Google Analytic team decided to say screw it you don't deserve protection from .xyz Russian spammers

They've got the nerve to put ratings on their help articles

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

I understand you @L00ncan, I had the same reaction when I saw a bunch of weird websites on my reports almost 1 year ago. I just share with you what has worked for me, there are quite a few good articles about the topic, sometimes a few minutes of reading can save you some headaches.

Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!
Analytics Consultant at Carloseo.com - Find me on Twitter | Email me