Analytics
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Google Spam Traffic Filter

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello, 

I was told to create a different view to filter spam bots in Analytics. I have to be honest and say that I dont understand how this really works. I created the view but I don't see exactly what this data shows me? Is it just making sure that the spam goes into this view and not the other? Help? 

Thanks in advance, 

J

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Janet,

I would suggest you to read this article to get some idea @ http://juliencoquet.com/en/2016/06/17/how-can-handle-google-analytics-referrer-spam/

I'm also sharing a video tutorial to block spam referrals @ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yHm7xGBb18

It is bit longer but you will know all the details.

Thanks

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Janet,

The idea of creating another view to filter spam is that your filtered view will have the actual clear data and the unfiltered one will have all the data including the bot traffic.

With this way, you can prepare your reports by using the filtered view without having so much noise in your data and you can use the non-filtered view to see how much spam you are receiving. Also, if you make a mistake while setting up the filters, your view will have inaccurate data(or you might filter your whole traffic mistakenly) and you will have your data on unfiltered view still. 

Please keep in mind: when you create a new view, it will start to collect data from scratch. This means there will not be any historical data for that new view.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

That makes total sense I'll double-check it today! 

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thank you so much that's so helpful 

Re: Google Spam Traffic Filter

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hope your issue is resolved.