AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2K members online now
2K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics Spam Questions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Let me explain what our goal/conversions are and the issue we are encountering.

Our goal is to get signups on our website. So we are tracking this by having individuals directed to a "welcome" page after they complete the registration process. Now here is the issue we are encountering and need some advise with. 

We have an IP log on our website that shows the individuals ip, and we are getting multiple signups from the same IP, so we ruled it as spam. But when we check the IPs location, we have no conversion data in Google Analytics for that specific location at all. All successful registrations are directed to the "welcome" page, so it can be seen in GA. 

Are these spam signups coming from a VPN, and why are the IP locations completely different from what it is showing in GA GEO for conversion data?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I would assume you are correct in saying the user is using a VPN or perhaps multiple users are connecting to the same IP address but using different locations.

Can users access the welcome page without registering? 

Maybe block that IP address if the traffic is not beneficial (i.e they are not adding any value to your data or they are not a customer).

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yea, I was thinking the same thing. I just do not understand how we are receiving streams of registrations with an IP located in one area, but conversions are showing something completely different in GA. For example, it will say we had 15 conversions in California, but only 3 IPs actually direct back to Cali, while the rest are on east coast.