Analytics
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Ghost or Spam referral?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi there,

Audience > Overview Dashboard in Google Analytics

I just found the following Language source wht tons of sessions

Secret.ɢoogle.com You are invited! Enter only with this ticket URL. Copy it. Vote for Trump!

Any ideas where does this come from? Is it SPAM referral things that can get avoided with the Valid Hostname Filter?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Ghost or Spam referral?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

You are dealing with referrer spam.
The easiest way to deal with this is to:
- Go to the Google Analytics Admin section
- Select the correct view
- Go to Filters
- Click Add filter
- Give your filter a name such as "Include only my website"
- Under Predefined, select "Include Only"
- Under Select Source or Destination, select "traffic to the hostname"
- Under Select expression, select "that contains"
- In the Hostname field, enter "yoursite.com", where yoursite.com is really your domain name.

Save your filter and enjoy new, somewhat-spam-free traffic!

For a complete set of solutions, read this:
http://juliencoquet.com/en/2016/06/17/how-can-handle-google-analytics-referrer-spam/?utm_id=tcen

VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Ghost or Spam referral?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Any reason Google isn't filtering out the main culprits by simply blocking attempts to insert the major known ghost referral spammers? Would save a TON of Analytics user time (so every user doesn't have to search for the issue) and also Google's resources by not having to store all that garbage data.

Ghost or Spam referral?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Google would need to determine very precise IP ranges to exclude said culprits.

Of course Google could just ban all visitors from Russia but that would not be very productive.

Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Ghost or Spam referral?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I meant why not target the referrer string? Why would it matter what the IP range is if you get one of the common referrer strings like "secret.google.com some obvious sales pitch" or "site-auditor.online"? There aren't any legit referrers with that are there? I realize you can't completely eliminate the issue but the major culprits should be fairly easy to reject.

Ghost or Spam referral?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Up to the Google team at this point.

Ghost or Spam referral?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks Julien!