Analytics
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Getting weird data in page views by keyword

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am getting these numbers in my page views by keyword dashboard widget. Any help is appreciated.

Screen Shot 2017-02-20 at 3.50.57 PM.png

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @VCU M Keyword is a session level dimension so it should be reported in most cases using Sessions as metric where the answer could be which of the KWs generated most traffic. If you want to check the engagement tied to a list or a specific KW you could also use Pages / Session and / or Bounce rate and more.

Hope it helps.

Kind regards,

Zorin 

Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Zorin Escape, Im not understanding your answer. The question I have is about the strange numbers that are showing up as keywords. For example the keyword "0_4e3367cc73-173e616416-27051573" with 15 page views. I have never seen that before and I'm not sure where it is coming from or why.

Re: Getting weird data in page views by keyword

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

@VCU M Those keywords come probably from your Mail List. When you use Google Analytics link tracking in MailChimp all the links in your newsletters are auto-tagged.

The keyword you see is an alpha-numeric ID generated by MC to identify the user that clicked that link later in GA. Here is an example

yourdomain .com/your-page/?utm_source=name-assigned-in-MC&utm_campaign=name-assigned-in-MC&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_eb24257cf34ea7deff6d6

To better analyze this data follow @Zorin Escape advice

Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!
Analytics Consultant at Carloseo.com - Find me on Twitter | Email me

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply though i'm still not understanding why the utm_term=0_eb24257cf34ea7deff6d6 is showing up as a searched keyword in this dashboard widget? 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi ,VCU 

The keyword is encrypted , that's why you are not able to see the Normal text .

I hope it will help .

Thanks..

Re: Getting weird data in page views by keyword

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star

@VCU M The utm_term is mainly used for to track paid keywords in Adwords, but other services like MailChimp use this field as an ID to track clicks on links

When "utm_term" MC assigns an alphanumeric Id so you can track the performance of each link in Google Analytics.

It adds a deeper level of segmentation in Google Analytics. For example, not only can you look at the visits, page/visits, revenue, eCommerce conversion rate of an email campaign, using the keyword filter you can see how each link of the email campaign performed.

http://freshclicks.net/articles/email-marketing/mailchimp-review-email-marketing-provider/

Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!
Analytics Consultant at Carloseo.com - Find me on Twitter | Email me