Analytics
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Getting Sessions from a Country I'm not targeting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi There,

I recently started running Bing Ads. My ads were targeted to South Africa and the USA was in my list of excluded locations. I was using utm tracking to track my campaigns with source/medium = bing/cpc.

After about a week of running the ads I noticed a massive spike in bing/cpc sessions, I quickly checked my campaigns to see what was happening and found that there was no spike at all in clicks or impressions.

Upon further investigation I found that these sessions were all coming from the USA. This seemed impossible to me as my ads should have never served there and I did not receive any clicks from the USA. (According to a number of Bing reports I pulled + the Bing help centre).

Has anyone experienced this before or know what the problem could be?

Thanks

Getting Sessions from a Country I'm not targeting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Mi advice is that you check the settings for your Bing Ads campaign and make sure they are excluding both people in those locations and people in those locations who expressed interest in your target location.

I have seen that happen on Adwords campaigns. If your settings are correct, I would then reach out to the Bing ads team to get a credit for those visits.