Analytics
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Getting Referal in google analytics tracking as secret.google.com is it spam or something else

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Support,

I have got twice today while checking in real time traffic source in google analytics account it appeared as secret.google.com as referal secret.ɢoogle.com

Please can anyone help me if is it a spam or something else if its a spam please let me know how to stop it?

Looking forward for your help and Support
Thanks
Greg
1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Getting Referal in google analytics tracking as secret.google.com is it spam or something else

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Greg, 

It is definitely spam. I recommend you to create a filter with your hostnames, this will take care of all the spam of this type. Here you can find more information and detailed instructions to create this filter.

https://www.ohow.co/ultimate-guide-to-removing-irrelevant-traffic-in-google-analytics/

Hope it helps,

Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!
Analytics Consultant at Carloseo.com - Find me on Twitter | Email me

Getting Referal in google analytics tracking as secret.google.com is it spam or something else

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The same happened to me in the page of estudioseo.com

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello There,

I have done the above steps but unfortunately its not working still getting spam referal

Thanks

Greg

Re: Getting Referal in google analytics tracking as secret.google.com is it spam or something else

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Hi Greg,

There are a couple of things you should consider. First, filters will work only forward, to clean historical data you should use the segment, also explained in the guide.

If you still see ghost spam after 24hrs, which is the case of the spammer you mentioned before and all the sharbuttons spam, then there might be a problem with your valid hostname filter configuration.

Double check that you are not adding hostnames that you don't control, for example, google.domans is not a valid hostname (it is used by this spammer).

The other thing that usually cancels the filter functionality, is adding extra pipe characters at the end or beginning of your filter expression.

If the valid hostname filter is correctly configured there is no way that this or any other spammer of this type go through.

Hope this helps,

Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Carlos,

Will do the testing and update you accordingly .

Thanks Again

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Carlos, 

I had the same problem so I've just used your guide and I think it's worked. I went through twice to fully get it right! What threw me was the fact the when I copied the view non of the historical stats were there. I realise that the filters only work going forward but kind of presumed that if you're copying a view all the data would be copied too. Is it right that the data in the new view starts from today?

One other thing is that I only have one hostname, so I guess I just enter that with no pipes? I also excluded www. and .com. Will this work?

Thanks for posting such a detailed guide!

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Me too I see the same url in my google analytics

I have a website under construction and it gets a hit in visitors https://www.hazgui.net

what is the effect of this spam??

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Same is happening on my website www.lucaswork.com ... I think someone is trying to make money with that buzz

Rising Star
# 10
Rising Star

There are many names used by the spammers, ways (referral, keyword, language) and reasons behind it (get your email, promote a website, send you to an affiliate). 

But no matter what, how and why, all spam of this type will be stopped by the hostname filter explained in the guide above.