Analytics
5.6K members online now
5.6K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Get a GA Admin to Delete and Block Spam

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Dear Google,

It would take about 20 minutes to:

1. Run a database query to remove all languages from GA that include "Trump" etc.
  2. Remove all pages that include "sharebutton" etc.
  3. Setup standard filters to block "sharebutton" et al in the future.

Give me admin access to your system and I'll even do it for you.

Kind Regards,

Adrian Smith

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

That assumes that GA is built on a database that can delete records (my understanding is that it isn't). Write-only databases are much faster, and this puppy is built for massive scale.

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Mike,

If the data is on a magnetic disk then it can be amended.

Re: Get a GA Admin to Delete and Block Spam

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Yes, it can be replaced or rebuilt, but at what cost. This document (section 8.1) describes the backend of GA as 200TB of highly compressed click data (in BigTable) which is processed into a 20TB summary table used for reporting, and that was 10 years ago.

https://static.googleusercontent.com/media/research.google.com/en//archive/bigtable-osdi06.pdf

Using the old 'double in size each year' rule-of-thumb, that would be around 200PetaBytes today. Reprocessing 200PB of data will take a bit longer than 20 minutes and involve a few computers. Doing that to a running system is a massive investment of resources.

I am not defending the tolerance of spam in GA, just recognizing the engineering challenge faced by a team that is not a big money-maker in the Google organization. Yes, they have had 2 years to find a way to deal with it, but that just underscores the fact that it is not as simple as a 20 minute fix.

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Cleaning up the old data and implementing a suite of standard filters to block any new spam makes good business sense.

It would:

1. Reduce storage space

2. Improve the user experience

3. Save money