Analytics
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Flash Version 11.5 r502 Bot Traffic Issue - early 2015 - today

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to reach an old Google Product's forum post I found via the SERP using the keyword: "google analytics 11.5 r502 bot" the link is: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/analytics/sTinRFgimIU/EsuDxWNxngUJ

But I keep getting redirected here (the new interface) and can NOT find any content surrounding this topic here. Hoping one of the modes can help me out here! 

-J

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Flash Version 11.5 r502 Bot Traffic Issue - early 2015 - today

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi James,
This should be what you're looking for: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:xxJ0FV7IX6AJSmiley Tongueroductforums.google.com/d/topic/web...

It's annoying the redirect, I know. I believe it's being worked on though.
For future reference, in the search results, when you see an old forum post, click the tiny little green down arrow at the end of the URL and select the "cache" link/option. That will show you the cached page like I linked above.

Hope that helps.

Dave

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
BTW - that bot has morphed over time to different Flash versions, usually older ones. Some people claim that older Chrome browsers are also a "signature of interest". To my knowledge no one has identified where it comes from or figured out any consistent way to deal with it that lasts more than a month or two.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks @Dave_Davis! Much appreciated. I realized after I posted this you can also place "Cache:" and then search for the URL in an engine!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Mike S! You wouldn't happen to know of any other threads this (other relevant Flash versions) has been suggested in off hand? Or the versions themselves?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Lots of chatter with various theories, but a lot of wild guesses with little analysis and people insist of stating numbers in percentages, which in my mind are meaningless since the site could have 100 or 100 million visits. Also people tend to look for a quick fix, like a specific Flash release, which so far does not exist. It changes over time. A lot.

Some of the 'spikes' seem to affect people running remarketing programs, or they are simply targets for affiliate links from various affiliates. Commission Junction was being used by some spammers (and still is) to try to get affiliate commissions. The target may actually not be you, but some unsuspecting person playing a free game where their browser pops open from time to time. Your site might just be a convenient destination.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.