1.7K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Filters for Spam

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

I have added exclude filters for my spam referral, however, it still picks it up in my analytics, even after I have edited view 'Exclude all hits from known bots and spiders'? How long will it take for this to become active? 

Thank you!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Filters for Spam

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Precision Device Distributors p

You originally posted your question in the Google My Business community but it looks more like an Analytics question to me, so I've moved it across to that community.

Hopefully someone here will be able to help you with your question.

Cheers,

Priya

(GMB TC)

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
-----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Priya! I appreciate it Smiley Happy

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hey there,

The problem with spam in Google Analytics is that a soon as you exclude one referral another comes up, so it is a never ending battle. The option to 'Exclude all hits from known bots and spiders' is for known crawlers, and bots, it is good that you enable it since this hits are also irrelevant, but that won't help you with the spam.

If you really want to control the spam and stop most of it, there is a more efficient approach using your hostnames. Instead of running behind the spam and excluding each one of them, you can create a filter that will only allow valid traffic using your valid hostnames, it may sound complex but at the end it will save you lots of time.

I created this step by step guide to apply this solution, you will also find more information related with this issue.

Hope it helps you,

Carlos

Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!
Analytics Consultant at Carloseo.com - Find me on Twitter | Email me

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Carlos nailed it. Follow his guide step by step and you will be fine. Remember it is an ongoing battle.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Carlos..
This is Juhi from India, I have so much interest to edit spam local small business page on Google, As I fond few people in India miss using Google Local listing services and cheating to business owner. I hope you would understand the complete information below!.
In India Packers and Movers is the high level business approach even its comes under small business category, Most of business page are not claims so they people claiming it by giving a Fake call to customer and saying they are from Google map team wants to update their business, Google has a big drawback of phone verification so methods, they are taking their security code (received from Google Auto call generated systems) and updating existed business for a Packers and Movers business promotions. I has been edited many time business but those spammer are smart they simply making little change in blocked business page and reverifying it. I am tired now do it. Its made me frustrated and tired. Please tell me how to report effectively so Google can take serious action against all those spammers. Google should update their algorithm like Phone verification methods, Verify recently updated business page proper way. Should accept any ID proof for new business as well changing business information,

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Juhi,

Google has already stopped calling people. Now they are using postcards.

Regards,
Abhi

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

Hi Juhi,

I'm not sure, if I fully understand you but the topic referenced here is related to Google Analytics Spam, and it seems that your concern is related to Google Business.

If that is the case you can post your question in the support forum of Google business, one of the experts there should be able to help you.
https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Google-My-Business/ct-p/GMB

Hope it helps,

Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!
Analytics Consultant at Carloseo.com - Find me on Twitter | Email me

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Abhi.. Thats not true, there are lot of business still getting verify by phone call only, old business you can edit vial phone verification.