Analytics
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Filter for referral spam correctly set but NOT working

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I'm using a filter to filter out с.новым.годом .рф from appearing in my referral list, I followed like 10 different tutorials on this, set all correctly, but I CAN'T GET IT TO DISAPPEAR from my stats, and it's driving me nuts.

Image of my referral view and of the filter I'm trying to use with no effect :

referral_view.jpgfilter.jpg

New traffic from this spam referrer is still rising everyday, so that filter is of no use.

Any help ?

Thank you !

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Filter for referral spam correctly set but NOT working

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Arthur L
How long ago did you setup the filter? It usually takes around 24-48hrs for a filter to start showing an affect in the reports. Filters also will not work on historical data, they will only work going forward.
I would also maybe adjust the filter a little, maybe try the following
(с.новым.годом.рф)|(xn--q1a.xn--b1aube0e.xn--c1acygb.xn--p1ai)
Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for replying !

It has been 4 days since the filter is active on my account, but with no effect. I still get referral visits from the same spammer. I think they definitely found a way to go around Google filters...

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Arthur :-)

Have you setup the filter on a new View rather than the original default View?
(golden rule when using filters, always leave your initial default View without any filters applied to it, that way there is always
an unedited copy of data should it be needed for reporting purposes at any stage)

The first type of filter that is a 'must have' is a hostname filter to only include traffic to valid hostname(s)
(Just out of curiosity, if you add a Secondary Dimension to that same report in your screenshot, does it show a hostname for that particular traffic or does it show as (not set)? )

Have you adjusted the filter as per my recommendation.. quick way to test regex's in filters is in the report you are trying to remove the data from is test the regex in an inline table filter (they don't permanently remove the data when applied like this, they only work while in that report, and you can see immediately if your regex or filter pattern will work via the results returned in the table)

inline-filter.jpg

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm having the same problem with them too. I've set up a filter days ago, and they're still getting through. I've also attempted to block access by adding them to a referrer blocking list via htaccess, and they've found a way around that too.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Jason
in most instances htaccess wont work as they are not usually visiting the website, they are exploiting the measurement protocol
I strongly recommend reading the following article about referrer spam, what it is and the ways in which it is generated.
There are also examples of the types of filters that should setup to combat it.

http://help.analyticsedge.com/spam-filter/definitive-guide-to-removing-google-analytics-spam/

You may also want to use something like the following free services to setup install and keep the filters updated
https://referrerspamblocker.com/