Analytics
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Facebook traffic showing as Direct instead of Facebook

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear team,

We are unable to track our facebook traffic in Real-Time of google analytics as we are running Facebook Ad Campaigns in Facebook now. So, i thought my facebook traffic is showing in Direct traffic.

Also we used to have 'Social Setting' option in GA Admin to make changes but it was not there now.

So, please guide us and help me in resolving this issue.

Thanks.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Zoylo,

You are saying you thought your fb traffic is showing as direct traffic but not necessary that is true so IMO is best option would be always tag you fb campaign.

Facebook traffic can be labelled as direct traffic in GA. Please check this article you will know the details @ https://www.optimizesmart.com/learn-to-correctly-track-facebook-referral-traffic-in-google-analytics...

Hope this helps.

Thanks

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @santosh s,

Thanks for your valuable feedback.

I read that article, that was good for using 'campaign tagging' (using UTM parameters) but i am unable to track my facebook traffic in Google Analytics through "Facebook Pixel code implementation" and we placed the Facebook Pixel Code suucessfully on our website thank-you page.

Please help me out.

Re: Facebook traffic showing as Direct instead of Facebook

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Zoylo,

First off, I apologize if I interpreted your intentions incorrectly. But it seems that you are trying to track your Facebook conversions through Google Analytics, correct?

If so, then @santosh s is correct by stating that you need to tag your Facebook Campaigns, via UTM, so that your traffic will be displayed independently from "direct traffic" in your Acquisition < All Traffic < Source/Medium reports in Analytics.

Screen Shot 2017-05-02 at 12.59.58 PM.png

In the screenshot above, I tagged my Facebook campaigns with UTM parameters

?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=CPL&utm_adcontent=Carousel1

And if you click on the secondary dimensions, I can sort each ad that I tagged (applicable if you tag your ads individually with utm_adcontent=youradcontent) so I can view my Paid Facebook Ads at a granular level.

Screen Shot 2017-05-02 at 1.03.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-02 at 1.03.58 PM.png

So after you can successfully view your paid Facebook traffic, you will want to setup goals in Analytics (in this scenario, setup the /thank-you page as the goal) so you can select your goals in the reporting dropdown and view if your paid Facebook traffic is contributing to your conversions. Setting Up Goals In Analytics | Overview

Screen Shot 2017-05-02 at 1.11.04 PM.png

All that being said, you have a detailed conversions report that is accessible in Facebook's business manager to view all your associated conversions. But if you wanted to also track that traffic in Analytics then this is how you should set everything up.

I hope that I captured your intent. If not, follow up with some more clarity of what you are trying to achieve!

Thanks

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Can someone help me with a related issue?

Screenshot_6.pngScreenshot_7.png

Why are these two sooo off???

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

@Sumant V,

They are off because Facebook Conversions and Analytics track those purchases differently.

First off, always refer to your reporting in the FB Dashboard as your bible. Those metrics will be more true to value when tracking your ROAS. 

Secondly, Analytics will only be able to track revenue from your FB Advertisement in a single session. Meaning, if someone clicks on your FB Ad and navigates to your site but then leaves without making a purchase then that traffic source (Facebook / CPC) obviously won't be awarded a conversion. However, if that same user decides to come back to your site the next day by searching your product/company or by typing it directly into the browser then, in Analytics, your source traffic Direct / None or Google / Organic will be awarded the conversion while your campaigns in FB Ads Manager gets awarded the conversion because your user still had the cookie attached to their browser (unless they cleared their cache or the duration period expired) and your FB pixel fired whenever the user executed the goal (thank-you/ page, etc).

Hope that helps clarify this?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks @Cameron R, that does help. Thank you. I was hoping to use analytics as my one source, but I guess that your explanation makes sense. It would still seem that the number of direct purchases originating from the fb ads should be much higher, considering they are dynamic remarketing ads, and the users have already been on our site. Most likely they would not need more than that one additional session to make a purchase. Thanks for your reply, i was doubting the tag implementation prior to your input.

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

@Sumant V,

Analytics is a great source in determining the effectiveness of all your channels (bounce rates, exit pages, session duration, etc) but when it comes to tracking specific revenue from your Advertising Streams, I would always refer to the specific platforms reporting as the "end-all-be-all". In this scenario, a lot of your FB revenue is being nested under your Direct and Organic sources.

Whether your users switched browsers, devices, or timing out on your site, Analytics won't be able to pin point your exact revenue per medium/source. For example, I will see ad offers while using my mobile device while at work, but I definitely don't have time to purchase it right then. Usually I will go home, open up my laptop, and look up the company or product i saw earlier and purchase the item that i recently viewed from the advertisement. So in that scenario, FB would report a conversion but Analytics would report a conversion for Direct or Organic.