Analytics
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Excluding traffic from my domain

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

I have updated  my domain in the "Referral Exclusion List" in order to exclude irrelevant traffic (from my domain) 

the thing is that i'm still getting traffic,

Maybe its because i have a redirect from the mywebsite.com version to the www.mywebsite.com?

or it could be other reason?

Thanks

Eyal

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Excluding traffic from my domain

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Eyal,

Returning users who have your domain set as their source when coming back as direct will still have that source set until they return from a source other than direct or they reach your campaign timeout. Please check your campaign timeout settings in Admin -> Tracking Info -> Session Settings.

Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Arnold
"still have that source set until they return from a source other than direct or they reach your campaign timeout"
that's the reason why i see my own domain in the referrals?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi,

Yes, if you check they are all returning users.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks!!
should i increase the session timeout to 90 minute?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi,

It's not the session timeout setting, it is the Campaign Timeout one.

For eg. if you set it to 7 days then in 7 days the cookies will expire and they will be replaced with new ones. The self referrals will disappear and after 7 days you can set it back to the previous setting.

The downside of this solution that you'll lose the campaign data for returning users who visited more than 7 days ago.

Here is a great article about cookie deletion:
https://www.e-nor.com/blog/google-analytics/cookies-and-cookie-deletion-in-google-analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
isn't the referral exclusion list should solve this self referrals?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
It does, when you create a new Universal Analytics property your domain is added automatically to the referral exclusion list from the beginning so you don't have the self referral issue. But for older properties that were not created as universal analytics you need to add your domain yourself. As I mentioned above it does not work for returning users who have already set your domain as they traffic source until they reach your campaign timeout.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks "returning users who have already set your domain as they traffic source until they reach your campaign timeout." do u mean like favorites ? or cookies issues?

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Returning users who have the _ga cookie already set so GA can identify them as returning users.