AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Excluding the Campaign Source

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm just going through a process of filtering out the campaign source to get rid of our spammy referrals from future traffic.

I was just wondering whether I have to include the each entire URL as it's listed in the Source/Medium breakdown, or whether I can simply put the root domain and it will exclude any traffic from that domain.

For example we have source traffic from 'free-social-buttons4.xyz', 'www1.free-social-buttons.com', 'www4.free-social-buttons.com', 'site1.free-floating-buttons.com' and others.

Do I have to include each different one in the filter, or can I just write 'free-social-buttons' and it will eliminate all of them?

If it's the second option, it will save me a lot of time as there are over 207 results.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Excluding the Campaign Source

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Chris,

You can certainly do the 2nd option with your Filters using Regular Expression to exclude all those domains

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
If you use hostname 'that contain' in the predefined option or regex in custom option for the filter, then 'free-social-buttons' will work.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi Chris,

You can even use a portion of the domain for example social-buttons or even -buttons if it's unlikely you will have a referral with that string, this will even help match more. However, even if that works, I don't recommend it because the "buttons" referrals are not the only ones, there are many with many different names that updating the filters every time is highly inefficient.

There is one thing that most of the spam in GA has in common and that is they have a fake or not set hostname (don't confuse with source). Whit this in mind you can create a filter that only includes valid hostnames, this will automatically leave out most of the spam and you won't have to update your filters every time. You can use the following guide for applying this solution:

https://www.ohow.co/ultimate-guide-to-removing-irrelevant-traffic-in-google-analytics/

Hope it helps,

Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!
Analytics Consultant at Carloseo.com - Find me on Twitter | Email me