Analytics
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Excluding spam referrals, recommended way?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Is there a recommended way of excluding spam referrals?

I have seen tutorials on adding spamsites through either: "Admin" > "Tracking info" > "Referral exclusion list".

or, setting up a filter through "Admin" > "Filters".

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author AgguK
September 2016

Re: Excluding spam referrals, recommended way?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi :-)
Do not add them to the Referral Exclusion List. Doing so does not stop the their visits being tracked, it simply changes their visits to being Direct traffic instead of Referrals

Mike Sullivan one of the GA Communities Top Contributors has written a comprehensive article about the different types of spam data that occur and how to setup the filters required for combatting the different types. Long read but well worth it
http://help.analyticsedge.com/spam-filter/definitive-guide-to-removing-google-analytics-spam/
Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author AgguK
September 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi :-)
Do not add them to the Referral Exclusion List. Doing so does not stop the their visits being tracked, it simply changes their visits to being Direct traffic instead of Referrals

Mike Sullivan one of the GA Communities Top Contributors has written a comprehensive article about the different types of spam data that occur and how to setup the filters required for combatting the different types. Long read but well worth it
http://help.analyticsedge.com/spam-filter/definitive-guide-to-removing-google-analytics-spam/
Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Bronwyn!
That was a great article and I´ll be sure to follow the instructions there.
I don´t think I have ever seen any official comment directly from Google on how to approach spam referrals?
...or any future plans that might solve the issue
Thanks!