AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Excluding lifehacĸer but not Reddit Spam Traffic

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

There's a lot going on with SPAM traffic from lifehacĸer

It's very clear to me how to remove this using a Filter - 

I go ahead and add a custom filter with the filter field as "Campaign Source" and add the following as the pattern

lifehacĸer\.com

However I am also getting SPAM traffic from: https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/5foynf/lifehac%C4%B8ercom_original_idn_fake_safe_best_o...

Now I dont' want to exclude reddit.com completely as I get good traffic from there. How do I set up my filter to just exclude traffic from the above URL and not the whole domain of Reddit.com

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author DannyG
December 2016

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

@DannyG what works best at the moment is a combination of a Hostname filter and a language filter. You shouldn't use campaign source filters anymore except for specific referrals.

This guide will help you prepare all the necessary filters to stop fake Reddit referrals and any other type of spam.

https://www.ohow.co/ultimate-guide-to-removing-irrelevant-traffic-in-google-analytics/

Hope it helps,

Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!
Analytics Consultant at Carloseo.com - Find me on Twitter | Email me

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author DannyG
December 2016

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

@DannyG what works best at the moment is a combination of a Hostname filter and a language filter. You shouldn't use campaign source filters anymore except for specific referrals.

This guide will help you prepare all the necessary filters to stop fake Reddit referrals and any other type of spam.

https://www.ohow.co/ultimate-guide-to-removing-irrelevant-traffic-in-google-analytics/

Hope it helps,

Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Is there a way to know which hostnames are valid for me?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

@hemant g Your main hostname will be your domain, and depending on your configuration you may find others, for example, if you have many users translating your pages you should see google translate.

Also all places/services where you added your tracking code number will be a valid hostname, for example, youtube, payment gateway, etc.

Be careful, spammers use sometimes names from well-known sites to confuse people, simple rule if you don't control it in some form it can be a valid hostname.

Hope it helps,

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

Why are you recommending a language filter for this URL from reddit?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

That was a great help. Thanks Carlos.

I have a small confusion, what about traffic from hostnames (not set), blog.google, and mail.google.com?  Are they valid?

Re: Excluding lifehacĸer but not Reddit Spam Traffic

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star

@DannyG if you check the URL of that fake Reddit entries you will see this fake language 

Secret.ɢoogle.com You are invited! Enter only with this ticket URL. Copy it. Vote for Trump!

The same as most of the latest spam impersonating real sites. So the language filter should catch them, that combined with the hostname filter, and crawler filters for the rest of sneaky referrals should prevent almost all the spam.

@Hemant G  those are examples of fake hostnames since you didn't add your tracking number to blog.google or mail.google.

The (not set) is  a label added by GA if it doesn't find a value, which is common with the spam.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks a lot Carlos, you're of great help.

There are two more things where I'm stuck:

1.Which is the best filter to create in order to resolve redundant hostname issue?

2.What if the analytics report in my Behavior> Site Content> All Pages, shows my home page twice (with and without www), what is the best way to solve this?