Analytics
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Event Spam for mobile apps

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone, 

Do you know how to block spam for mobile apps? I have a lot of spam hits in my events report; I hope you can help!

Kind regards, 

Aneliya

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Event Spam for mobile apps

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Create one custom dimension , please implement as random fixed string is set (all hits).
Next , please narrow down in a random fixed string that specifies the custom dimension in the view filter.

Referrer spam using the Measurement Protocol, have been sent by a other program. In the program , because it does not contain a value in the custom dimension , it will be excluded by the filter.

Re: Event Spam for mobile apps

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Aneliya,

ryota has one good method (use a custom dimension), but you can also look for a signature that helps to differentiate between valid traffic and the spam. In websites, they can use the Hostname field, which gets populated by the website visit. You might be able to do something similar depending on how your app tracking is set up. Maybe a Device or operating system setting?
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.