Analytics
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Direct traffic issues

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi! 

The last couple of days I have a lot of direct traffic. Instead of +- 200 sessions a day, this is around 1500 sessions a day. I could not find a reason why there is a lot of traffic on our website. It seems that this is not possible. I have already red that it is possible that this is spam. The only difference with the other topic, our website had no session duration of 0 seconds. Is there any other possibility that this is spam?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Direct traffic issues

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Martine,
First check which city /country you are getting traffic? If you are getting direct traffic from outside your target country that means may be some software used to generate fake traffic. I know many such service provider on fiverr who provide fake direct traffic. I assume you/your service provider not using any such services.

Thanks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Santosh,

I see a lot of traffic from Germany. This is strange because we do not sell any products for German. How can I exclude this?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi

You can exclude traffic originating from a specific country via an Advanced Segment.

In the Advanced Segment creation interface you'll add the Dimension "Country", then select "Not containing" in the pulldown menu, then type the country name you wish to exclude in the text field..

You can also read below thread to know more about direct traffic spike reason @ https://www.ohow.co/common-causes-of-unnatural-spikes-in-direct-traffic-google-analytics/

Hope this helps.
Thanks

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Check the Audience > Technical reports for the browser and browser version of the direct traffic. Let me know if it is from one specific browser version....this has been happening to other sites. It appears to be a bot, but not a referral spam bot. More likely a homemade ecommerce/shopping bot.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Mike,

It seems that the problem was solved, after I had made the filters which were described in the article of Santosh. However, when I check the browsers I see that the days we had a lot of direct traffic, all this traffic did not came from a specific browser (not set). So, was it spam or a ecommerce/shopping bot?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Well, "spam" would imply that they left something that led back to their site - not it was not "spam".
A "bot", yes, very likely, Some of the latest bot spikes have come from real computers, producing real visits to websites. They can usually be identified as coming from one location or a specific old browser release, like Firefox 11.0.
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Mike,

Thank you for all the help! I solved the problem by filtering our hostname only.
However, I have again a bot from the United States. The name of the serviceprovider who is "spamming" us is limestone networks inc. When I check the Hostname I still see our own hostname only. Though, limestone networks inc is "spamming" us. Of course I can solve this problem by filtering out the United States. But I also saw that when I check the operating system, this is the only service provider where the operating system is "(not set)". Is it smart to filter out the operating systems when it is (not set)?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Martine B
August 2016

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
It is really hard to filter out (not set) because it actually does not exist in the traffic that a view filter sees. The value is empty and Google Analytics assigns some of those empty fields with the value of '(not set)' just so something is there, but that doesn't happen until after the filters have done their thing. You are really looking for nothing, literally an empty field, but the filters require a value...so you can't.
It would be better to filter the service provider value that you can see - it is more specific.