Analytics
5.6K members online now
5.6K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Bots masked as people

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Since last October i'm seeing a dramatic increase (used to be 4k, now it's 68k, 1530% incrase) in direct traffic from one country, combined with a significant bouncerate increase. This makes my figures hard to read. The issue is that what i assume is bot traffic is mixed in with legit traffic. I tried to identify sources using the following metrics

hostname

network

location (city)

browser

language

The strongest relation that i seem to be able to make to pinpoint bottraffic is a combination of language and city. The issue is that the number of combinations is quite great but language and country combinations is quite rough. 

Since it's so widespread and seemingly so random i assume for some reason my site must be getting lots of traffic from a botnet of some kind. How to best deal with such an issue?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Bots masked as people

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Jelle,

Thanks for posting on the Community. I’m going to look into this for you and update this thread when I have more information for you.

Krisha

Re: Bots masked as people

Community Manager
# 3
Community Manager

Hi Jelle,

Here are the suggestions from our support team:

1. Select 'Bot Filtering' option under View settings: Refer to this article - link

2. If you see a specific referral is the biggest contributor and you see bot filtering is not helping - you could either use Referral Exclusion(if you are using Universal Analytics tracking code): refer - Link OR filter the referral domain in case you are using the classic version of the code: refer - Link

Hope this helps.

Krisha