AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.4K members online now
3.4K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Ashburn, NY

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Wondering if anyone else has noticed weird direct traffic coming in from Ashburn, NY?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ashburn, NY

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Alistair T,

Can you be more specific and give some context to this weird traffic?

Thank you.
Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Direct traffic coming in from Ashburn, NY. 100% new sessions, 0:00 average session duration, 2 pages/session and extremely low bounce rate of less than 5%. I have this traffic with many different accounts.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Can you check the referrer for this traffic and try to see if they are indeed spam visits? That stats point to that being spam, but you would need to confirm.
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Hi Alistair,

There are a few data centers in Ashburn, NY. Most likely is some service. Did you start using any service for your website, for example, amazon cloud or Alexa or any that you recently acquired?

Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!
Analytics Consultant at Carloseo.com - Find me on Twitter | Email me

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Alistair,

I see that traffic from Ashburn too - it's lots of direct and referral traffic from amazon technologies inc. + amazon.com inc. (probably Amazon Cloud aws.amazon.com traffic) and hubspot - insert 'service provider' as second dimension in your reports to see that. Most Amazon referral traffic is from ad.doubleclick.net (part of Google Display Network) with 100% bounce rate.

Doesn't look like natural human traffic - more some kind of service or bot running, as suggested by Carlos above.

Christoph

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi Alistair T,

Some things you can check are the Network Domain and also the Landing Page (may need to use a custom report for this). See if there are any anomalies because in my experience, in some cases, I see "amazonaws.com" as contributing primarily to traffic for single landing page. That landing page may be able to help determine the nature of the traffic.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
If the language is "c", try to check if your site uses the PhantomJS to make snapshots of the site. These accesses are usually the PhantomJS and Analytics does not identify as bot. Sites with content in ajax asynchronous, use PhantomJS to deliver the page loaded correctly to search and share crawllers. I hope this helps you. Smiley Wink

Ashburn, NY

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9